Monday, July 14, 2008

the future freaks me out.

9 weeks down, less than 4 days to go and i'm left wondering "what's next?"

boy, oh boy, i wish i knew.

i embarked on this journey searching for answers. a direction. a calling, so to say. this fall, i begin my senior year at florida state. senior year. the year everyone expects to hear your impressive life 'plan'. truth is, i don't have one. i chucked my life long desire for med school out the window last summer in australia and haven't looked back since. i've spent the past year directionless, hopping from one impulsive whim to the next.

each time i go abroad, i learn something about myself. i return to the states with a new perspective, a new goal, a new lesson acquired... naturally, my pre-departure mentality equated england with self discovery. i wanted to leave london with a 'purpose'. mission failed. i'm leaving london more confused than ever. thank you, FareShare.

when i applied for a serviceship, i thought i was passionate about alleviating hunger. fareshare helps hungry people, i want to help fareshare. although i was intrigued at the idea of a 'green' food bank, my environmental concern was lacking. aside from a half hearted attempt at composting, my hippie dippie qualities end at recycling, bike rides, and walking around barefoot.

i surprised myself. shocked, is more like it. with FareShare, i've discovered a passion for the environment. i could care less as to who eats the food as long as it doesn't go to the dump. i cringe at the thought of waste of any type. sorry dad, but i've jumped on the sustainability bandwagon.

of course, this returns me to my original million dollar question: what's next?

i've got a head full of information and a new passion. now what do i do with it? your guess is as good as mine.

i guess we'll all just have to wait and find out.

No comments: